Sunday, November 10, 2013

And so it begins!

Decking the halls is well under way!  I decided to start getting the house ready for Christmas early this year, so that I wouldn't be rushed, but be able to take my time and really get it the way I wanted it.  I like to work on a project, step back and evaluate, then possibly change it ~ live with it a while before I give it my full blessing.

Last year, a few friends and I went to a Christmas Design workshop. The floral designer gave us some tips, tricks and secrets.  The secret to a mantle decoration was fabulous.  A piece of wood....  Cut a piece of wood 2 inches longer than your mantle, and the same depth.  Use floral foam, hot glue, and cheap garland to build your base, then add greenery pics, floral pics, ribbon and what ever else you want to add.  Be sure to save room on the wood for  your decorative objects for the top of your mantle.  My friends and I got together to make our mantle decorations, and this is my result...





And because I made this on a block of wood last year, it was so simple to install this year.  It took all of 5 minutes to bring it up from the basement, and plop it onto the mantle.

I was able to quickly move to the tree.  The tips and tricks I learned last year about decorating a tree were simple.  I didn't use the tips last year, but I plan to this year.  First, divide your tree into 3 sections.  You want to divide your ornaments into the 3 sections.  If, for instance, you have 9 large ornaments, you will want to place 1 - 2 at the top, 3 in the middle, then the rest on the bottom third.  Follow this same method for all of your ornaments.  Once Christmas is over, box your ornaments in thirds.  One box for the top, another for the middle, etc.   Now if you're like me, you may want to change it up every year.  I like to design differently from year to year, depending on the feel I am going for.  I think it could still work for me though, since I mostly use the same ornaments every year, just adding extras based on my decorating theme.  I may try it this year.  This year, my friends and I went to the advanced workshop.  I'll post about that later :)

The tree is finished, and very different than previous years.  I added red, and am really loving it. I didn't have any red last year in my decorations, and I missed it dearly!  It is my favorite color, after all!



I will post more pictures after I finish the house.  It's a work-in-progress!  Take care!


No comments:

Post a Comment